Thursday, May 27, 2021

The Scooby-Doo Reunion Special

 


A new Scooby-Doo Reunion special was announced on May 25. It will be a one hour special that airs on The CW later this year.

According to Variety:

In “The Scooby-Doo Reunion Special,” the Mystery Inc. gang reunites at Warner Bros. Studios to reminisce about their favorite cases and how they were filmed. But it turns out that the backlot may have its own monster problem. Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo investigate this mystery while celebrating the legacy of the franchise during this one-hour special.

Jonathan Stern will executive produce the special, which hails from Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Bros. Unscripted Television in association with Warner Horizon and Abominable Pictures.

According to MovieWeb, the reunion special is going to be a spoof of the reunion shows that have been coming out over the past year.

I'm hoping to see the gang as adults and I really would like to see them do this tastefully. This should be an awesome way to celebrate the characters and the voice actors through the years, especially Frank Welker, who has voiced Fred since the beginning. 

It will be a great opportunity for them to bring back some of the characters everyone loves too, like Scooby-Dum, Scooby-Dee and Scrappy. 

This could be amazing or it could be really bad. It will depend on how much Scooby knowledge the people working on it have, or at least how much research they do. I do feel with it only being an hour it may be rushed. With 50+ years of content, there is enough to make this a series. They could focus on the past mysteries in addition to showing the gang as they are now. 

I wonder what animation style they will use? What mysteries they will focus on? Why they even chose to do a reunion special at all? Is it possible Frank Welker is retiring? Could this be another tribute to him like it seemed that the Guess Who episode A Haunt of a Thousand Voices was? I couldn't even imagine him not voicing Fred anymore. Who would replace him? 

Ok, now I have so many more questions! I guess we'll just wait and see how the special turns out.


 

6 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see what they do with this, but I will admit that I'd feel a lot better if it wasn't being done by the CW. I'm reminding myself that CW was also responsible for Scoobynatural, so they have that going for them. But on the other hand, I just can't stop thinking about the CW's Riverdale and Nancy Drew, and dreading that somehow they'll try to find a way to give Scooby Doo the same "mature" treatment, or at least use this as an introductory stepping stone to suggest a less wholesome Scooby should be made. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. This could go either way and I really want to hope that they do something good with this reunion show. I also feel like it's weird because a reunion doesn't make sense when there is a current Scooby series airing, even though it isn't on The CW. Reunions are for shows that haven't aired in years.

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited for this! This sounds sort of like it's going to be a sequel in spirit to Scooby Goes Hollywood, which I loved. I don't think they'll make this too adult, but I could see it maybe leaning in the Scoobynatural direction. I'm also wondering if it will a tribute to Frank...maybe they're worried he's going to retire soon? I hope this isn't the case, but he is definitely getting up there in age. I love your idea of making this a series too! That would be so cool! I also think they should have done like this for the 50th anniversary rather than waiting until now. I'm excited regardless that they're even doing something like this, but at the same time, it would have made a little more sense to do this for the 50th anniversary IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something like ScoobyNatural would be awesome! I also loved Scooby Goes Hollywood, so that would be cool too. The thought of Frank retiring makes me sad. He's such an amazingly talented human being! Yes, them doing a reunion for the 50th would have made more sense. It seems weird to do now.

      Delete
  3. This should be a Scooby Panel disscusion on Zoom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We briefly discuss it in Panel 4, which comes out June 19th.

      Delete