Wednesday, May 19, 2021

New Scooby-Doo FigPins and My Dislike for Exclusives

 The Scooby-Doo FigPins were released at 1pm EST today and it was so very stressful for me! 


We learned about the FigPins release date 6 days ago and I've been a little stressed out since then! I'm not a big fan of blind packs or exclusives! I don't like having to fight to get something that I want to add to my collection. 

With the Funko exclusives, you usually have seconds to log on, add it to your cart and check out. How many times have you waited for the order to go through just to get a message that says they are all sold out? Then you know that within minutes you're going to see the same item on eBay for 3-4 times what Funko was selling it for. 

Being that I have never purchased FigPins before, that was what I expected, especially with Velma and Shaggy holding Scooby being so limited, with only 3,000 and 2,000 being made. 

I was ready to log in by 12:45pm so I could get all the pins, the full set! I had my hubby on a page to get Velma since she wasn't on the FigPin site. Come 1:00pm I refreshed the page and set out to buy them all. I was almost in panic mode as I added them to my cart. I had to enter a credit card for one of the sites I bought them on, and as I did, my hands were shaking. I mean, these are Scooby pins, not life or death if I don't get them, but I was so stressed out that I was shaking. It didn't get much better as I hit the button to complete my order as I anticipated the sold out message. 

To my amazement, there was no sold out message. My orders were through and the pins will be mine once they ship. I sat back in relief that the process was over. My hubby texted me and let me know he got Velma. I felt like I was able to breathe again!

I am not a fan of exclusives! The stress that I go through to get a Scooby related item is so intense. The worst part is seeing collectors that weren't able to get that item and then it is overpriced on eBay by someone that was just out to make a buck. I prefer preorders so it's fair for anyone that wants to buy it. 

I'm happy to say that the FigPin crisis is over and I can relax now knowing that eventually they will be shipped to me and in my Scooby case. 

By 1:40pm, Velma was starting to sell out on some sites, Shaggy holding Scooby was still available though.

6 comments:

  1. It's kind of a shame how they market stuff for it to be this super stressful, "get it before it's gone in 27 seconds" type situation. That's why I don't really like collecting these types of items that sell out within a few hours, it's too stressful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I really should just not collect them, but I really liked the pins, except for them spelling Velma's name wrong, which I didn't even notice until someone else pointed it out. This wasn't as bad as the Funko exclusives, but I didn't know what to expect so it was a very stressful process.

      Delete
    2. I didn't even see they spelled Velma's name wrong! That's really ridiculous and you'd think someone would have caught that before they released it.

      Delete
    3. I thought the same thing, and especially since they had to buy the license for Scooby to make the pins. And now the Space Kook Funko Soda figure is called Space Ghost? I just don't know how that happens.

      Delete
  2. "I don't like having to fight to get something that I want to add to my collection." This is exactly how I feel too. I'm so tired of exclusive this, limited that..... an excuse to charge more money for something, and a desperate attempt to push products to "collectible" status long before their time. This is also why I don't care for auction settings. I can't stand that feeling of dreadful anticipation and worrying leading up to it, and then one of two things happen: Either you lose the item and then you're beyond disappointed and likely furious with a stranger you don't even know; or you win the item... and someone else gets to have these negative feelings about YOU. And it's just kind of awful when you stop and think about it. We should all be collecting the things we love because they bring us joy -- not because we want something just so that someone else can't have it, you know? And to me, that's all that exclusive/limited releases are: 'I want something that you can't have.' I want EVERYONE to just have what they like, is that really too much to ask??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. The limited/exclusives are just a way for the companies to make a lot of money by offering just a small amount of that item and then people buy them and sell them for a huge profit. Yet, I can't help myself in buying these things. The Funko Pops, Figpins...I just want them all. I keep telling myself I just want to collect true vintage pieces, and then I keep buying everything they come out with. It would be really nice if they did make enough for everyone so no one has to fight over it.

      Delete