Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Scooby-Doo Panel #2 - Collecting Scooby Merchandise & Why I Collect

We had an amazing discussion for Scooby Panel #2. It was so much fun talking about collecting merchandise. 


As a collector, most people don't understand why I collect, why I spend money on these items and what is so great about having all this Scooby stuff. Sometimes I feel like showing people my collection is a negative thing because people look at it and me as if there is something wrong. 

I touched very briefly on why I collect Scooby stuff in the discussion. I went through some traumatic experiences when I was a kid and into my teens. While these events have helped to shape who I am today, they also started my Scooby fascination. Scooby-Doo made me feel comfortable. While the show was on, I was able to focus on it, to feel safe and feel like I was in my own little world where I didn't have to care about what was going on in reality. 

As I got older, I started collecting Scooby merchandise and those items made me happy. I would display them all, which at the time fit on a couple shelves, and I'd be able to feel that happiness when I looked at them. Now, have a Scooby room and a ton of Scooby stuff that I have collected over the years. 

In the discussion, everyone agreed that collecting makes them happy. And Wendy pointed out that every person has their thing, whether they collect something, go to concerts, buy specialty foods, etc., everyone has that thing that they enjoy, that makes them happy and that they feel is worth their money. With us, it just happens to be collecting Scooby-Doo stuff. 

I hope you all enjoy Panel #2 as much as we enjoyed making it! And remember to do what makes you happy!

4 comments:

  1. This one was SO much fun! When you find other people who are truly of like mind, that share your passion for something, there's no other feeling of joy quite like it! And for the record, I'd rather have a plastic wedge of cheese with Scooby's face on it ANY DAY rather than a real wedge of cheese I could eat only once and then it's gone. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting to talk to other Scooby fans has done wonders for me as you all understand where I'm coming from and you all enjoy the discussions. It has been so much fun talking Scooby! I'm with you on the cheese haha.

      Delete
  2. Hey Nikki! It's Michele Flores from FB! You and I have had conversations on your posts! Totally love the panel discussions. I completely felt the same way with my collection. I'm 50 yrs old and I've been collecting since I was a kid. I was very apprehensive sharing my love for Scooby. People would poke fun and comment my money was going to a cartoon character. When I discovered Scooby Doo fan bases on FB, I was happy to see I was one of many who enjoyed their love of Scooby. I finally realized I shouldn't care what people say. Little by little, I've started sharing my collection. Funny story, before I dated and married my husband, I stated if we were gonna share a life together, my fur babies and Scooby are a package. This October we celebrate 15yrs lol! Now I've got the husband, family and friends involved collecting Scooby stuff that I don't have. My love for Scooby makes me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele!! I'm sorry to hear that people weren't always accepting of your collecting. It's really sad to have the people you care about make negative comments about something you love. Glad to hear your hubby is supportive :)

      Delete